You have made a big step towards independence. Now you own your own business and you are the captain of the ship, sailing through the e-commerce tides on the way to financial success. As you charge courses you should be developing the right attitudes and practices. Habit is something that becomes a routine part of your business nature and good habits help you steer the right course. There are some habits an entrepreneur ought to have in order to be a winner.
- Lead like a Boss. This doesn’t mean being a tyrant, but it does mean that you are not hiding in your office, but are right out on the floor watching the flow of activity, providing guidance, and giving encouragement. Don’t be afraid of diversity in the work place, but embrace it. A team of employees with different ideas can help move things forward.
- Don’t Let Failure Frighten You. Entrepreneurs are going to have moments when things don’t go right. The curiosity that is part of being entrepreneur can lead to mistakes and you have to look at failure as part of the learning process. A setback should not cause you to become overly cautious. You can recover from it and continue forward.
- Always Learn, Study Constantly. If you want to be successful in an ever-changing and you have to accept the concept of lifelong learning. You should spend at least some time every day reading business articles and staying current with the latest developments. It is 30 – 45 minutes well spent.
- Watch the Pennies. The rest of the old business adage is “and the dollars will take care of themselves.” You should be reviewing your cash flow on a routine basis to make sure that money is being spent wisely and revenues coming in on time. Maintaining a watchful eye prevents serious financial surprises from happening.
- Optimize Your Free Time. You can’t be running full throttle all the time. You need to look at free time as the opportunity to recharge your batteries and prepare for the next round of business. Taking a nap is 15 minutes which prevents your mind from being overstressed. You also may want to consider meditation or yoga as a means of refreshing yourself. Exercise is important and swimming or jogging can not only keep your body in shape but rejuvenate your mental capacities at the same time.
You are moving forward in that business which you’ve always wanted to own. Developing habits such as the ones mentioned above are going to assist you as you move down the road. These all may be changes in lifestyle for you. You no longer are a prisoner of the cubicle and some of the habits you developed there must be left behind. They no longer have any utility because you’ve moved on to a different environment.
A final thought is to stay flexible. The marketplace is going to change, and sometimes very drastically. You should be able to adapt to those terms. At the same time, the above habits will help you stay loose and take on the business world like a winner.